Monday, November 15, 2010

Thing #21

So many things and so little time. That is how I felt about all the Google apps. I did feel pretty good about this particular "thing." I have seen and used several of these cool tools. I actually have Google Earth downloaded on my iphone. At first we (my family) just enjoyed playing around with the app, but now we use it to locate destinations and use it for a map while we are out and about. My husband uses this app. for his business. He is the one who introduced me to it. I think this would be something that teachers could use to look up historical places or to teach mapping skills. I am familiar with the google calendar. Two teachers that my own kids have use this app to keep us informed of projects assigned and due dates. I have downloaded Picasa. I have not used it because I already have pictures downloaded on another application. I do have family members that have shared their albums with me through Picasa. My son would really enjoy the Sketch up. He loves creating things and building. I'm sure we will soon have that fun application on our desktop. The tool I loved the most was Google Books. I could have spend hours looking at all the books. The ideas for using this in the classroom are endless. I could put in any topic I could think of and books would pop up. The unique feature of Google Books is that you can preview a large portion of the book on your computer. I will remember to check out Google books before I head out to the bookstore.

1 comment: